Saturday, February 9, 2008

Family News, Art that Heals, and the Future is Here

I've been at the Geisinger hospital in Danville since Thursday night. My son David has had a procedure called a pharyngeal flap. If you trust Wikipedia, you can learn more about it here. It's to help improve his speech. Immediately afterward, he was really hurting. He's gradually improving and is becoming more like himself. If you are a parent, then you know that one of the hardest things to see is your child in pain.

This is an awesome hospital. They are taking very good care of him here. As I have to wander from floor to floor, I am always amazed at what nice art they have in hospitals. There are some really good original watercolors and prints. I don't know about other people, but it helps lift my spirits. Since this is a children's hospital, they have tons and tons of children's artwork on display. I am inspired to see kid's art presented in a prestigious format like this. I see it so often stapled onto bulletin boards that it is striking to see a child's expression double matted in a really nice frame. I'm thinking that I've got to figure out a way to finance some matting and framing of student work in my school.

Yesterday I was waiting for an elevator. When the door slid open my path was obstructed by a robot. I am not making this up! A robotic transport unit was delivering something from one floor to another. Can flying cars be far behind?

3 comments:

Lynn Rosenberger said...

You are quite the inspirererererer...Mr. Bozzo got me checking out his site, which led me to your site, which....I don't know where it will lead me??? I can't stop!!!! Hope your son is well....awesome web site/blog thingy! Perhaps I should check out doing this too and join the real 'certified' art geeks! very cool!

Paul Bozzo said...

I really like how you have been sharing some of your lessons. I've told a few student teachers about your site, too. And I like "Walk like an Egyptian" alot - but the image didn't come through on my computer??
Hey, us retired folk can sit around searching out new music - that has been exciting.

Unknown said...

That's funny -- it didn't show up at work either, but it does at home. I'll have to check into it.

Thanks, Paul.